The Ghost of Watt Tyler

Watt Tyler was one of the leaders of the 1381 Peasants’ Revolt. He was a slain by the King’s supporters after drinking a jug of beer “in a very rude and disgusting fashion before the King's face.”

Monday, July 04, 2005

Get off their backs Bill…

On Saturday I briefly switched on the telly to catch a bit of Live 8 (asking for trouble, I know). To my horror Bill Gates appeared leering before me heralded as the world’s greatest philanthropist. I was immediately reminded of this Leo Tolstoy quote:

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.
Of course it also applies to all the G8 countries. Read George Monbiot on the G8 debt relief plan.